03-27-2024, 04:15 PM   #7
Pond
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4, F31 and Z3 project

Quote:
Originally Posted by ade555 View Post
Pond

Is there much saving using them black box insurance? My daughter will be doing her practical in June so not looking forward to quote. I have her as a name driver for nearly a year on another car as learner driver not sure if this will help in future or not at all.
Learner premiums are pennies (for some reason), but it goes ballistic once they pass. That is why we put her learner policy in her name, as within a few months of passing she has earned a full year's NCB.

Being a girl, the premiums are much lower than boys (around half IIRC), but still expensive.

I think you will struggle to find a policy without a 'black box' requirement TBH.

At present her policy includes a 'thing' which plugs into the OBD port, so is permanently fixed to the car. This has a wifi thing that can access the data to her phone (and the insurers).

The new one just has a 'stand alone' box which connects via BT to her phone. The T&Cs says that only she needs to 'pair the device to her phone when she is driving. Her mum and me are named drivers and we don't need to use the data device.
Open to abuse IMO. It ain't clever enough to know who is driving, is it?
Appreciate 0