02-26-2024, 09:40 AM   #4
AlexC2er
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockCrusher View Post
My 2024 230xi owners manual allows for the use of 0w-20 or 0w-30 oil.

I would not use 0w-40 oil since the factory, at least AFAIK based on what is in my owners manual, does not sanction the use of a 0w-40 oil.

My info is Castrol is the source of the oil BMW uses.

So I might be ok using 0w-30 for track work. Maybe...

Castrol 0w-20:

Viscosity @ 100C: 8.13
Viscosity Index: 169
Flashpoint: 236C

Castrol 0w-30:

Viscosity @ 100C: 12.3
Viscosity Index: 205
Flashpoint: 196C

I say maybe because I recall years ago talking with the owner of a 993 Porsche (with the air-cooled engine) and his insistence in using 15w-50 oil which Porsche did *not* sanction for use in that engine instead of 0w-40 oil which is what Porsche did sanction.

The owner admitted with 15w-50 oil his track times were slower and on the street fuel mileage suffered a bit.

I'm not sure if a change from 0w-20 to 0w-30 would/could affect your track times or even affect fuel consumption on the street. But sometimes a "thicker" oil is not always the best oil.

But regardless of which oil you choose you should show up at the track with *fresh* oil in the engine. And have some extra bottles of oil in case the engine uses oil.

But with either 0w-20 or 0w-30 oil in the engine ideally you should monitor oil temperature and if it gets too high (>250F) take that as a clear sign the current track session is at an end. Take a cool down lap then pit. Let the engine idle some time to shed the heat load the engine has.

Also, be sure the brake fluid is fresh and the system properly [...]
It’s not really about times. Ig more about that I can continuously track without oil temp through the roof. So I’m hoping a thicker oil will help with that. Maybe I’ll try with 0w30 to see how hot it gets
Appreciate 0