View Single Post
      08-06-2022, 10:18 AM   #104
donnyfontaine
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Porsche macan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHen View Post
Okay I’m old enough to be called old school. When I ordered my 22 BMW M240i I deleted the digital dash and opted for dials. Yes, a real dial-like tachometer and speedometer. Why, because I want to “feel” like I’m getting into a sporty car that is actually faster to 60 MPH than a $90,000 Porsche Cayman GTS 4, 6-cylinder with a manual. And a car that is also faster to 60 MPH than M2s from just a few years ago. I don’t want to feel like I’m getting in an SUV.

So BMW made the M240i “2-door” coupe blisteringly fast, offers high performance cooling, brakes and tires, added the awesome BMW real-wheel biased AWD system for unrivaled grip and a suspension that can be stiffened on command for added performance handling and added sporty exhaust sounds but is now going to make the same interior changes for the M240i that are going into their SUVs. Does that make sense? Those interior changes will not add to but only diminish the fantastic “sporty feel” that BMW has “expertly honed” and “purposely” applied to the M240i.

Only an accountant would be happy with that decision.

ID8 might “work fine”. But a Toyota Camry also “works fine” enough to get me to the 7-Eleven. I didn’t by the M240i just to have it work. I bought it because of the way it makes me “feel”.

All just my opinion of course.

Bob
I’m with ya. And I think a lot of ppl that are saying “gauges don’t matter gosh” are rationalizing. iD8 is garish, and a cost saving mechanism, anyone who thinks BMW did this for “customer benefit” is fooling themselves. A lot of people that don’t already have orders in process are considering other options, and rightfully so
Appreciate 1
P_Chris156.50