Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinHEMI View Post
Oh I know how they work, I'm looking more for justification of the bold. Most of the braking is up front, is there objective evidence to show that the floating is worse in some way than the solid in a rear application?

Do the M cars with them stop in a longer distance, for example, than previous gens?
If you want consistency in braking you go with fixed calipers. If you were to swap out the rear calipers with fixed ones, yes the car would stop quicker. How much would it shave off on the stopping distance no one can answer until you do the test, but it will be less.
That is not true. There is much more into the equation like weight distribution, brake balance, tire grip, etc. You may be in a position that bigger brake may lock up the wheel too fast and that you have to offset with ABS or have to be distributed to the front to avoid it and then your bigger brake won't give you any benefit and will instead cost more and weight more.

I have not heard any complaints about break performance on the new G80 and it outperform the previous gen by a massive amount so ai trust the engineer know what they are doing.
Appreciate 1
JustinHEMI7445.00