View Single Post
      07-27-2021, 12:09 PM   #81
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw43 View Post
Hi guys,
As I was not completely satisfied with my last render and more leaks have appeared, I decided to do another one. I think this shows the overall proportions and the shape of the headlights a little bit better.
What do you guys think?
Cheers!
Bmw43, here's a repost tip for you:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post

Design:

So far I have no confirmation whether that mystery front end is the real deal. Despite the M2 logo, the usual tow hook location and structural lines to host a LiDAR in the lower part of the front end (as seen on G87 M2 spy pictures and on the G42 2er), for the time being I still remain skeptical. But I won't rule it out per se.

As pointed out multiple times in the past, the front end design of modern BMW M cars usually features a /---\ central intake design instead of a \---/ design (see for example the dedicated thread visualizing the front end evolution here ("M front bumper design evolution from Z3 M Roadster to M2 Competition")). It would be another design language change if BMW M discontinues this modern hallmark design trait. Unfortunately, ever since the G80 M3 and G82 M4 have come into existence, a radical change for the sake of change has become possible.

Like or dislike ? Two aspects that I personally like about this mystery front end: the suggestion of a different headlights design than the G42 2er one + kidneys design (strong lines + proper compact size).

Now let's imagine for a moment that this front end bumper would reflect the real deal (albeit a copy): expect plastic or carbon fiber pieces (aka 'fangs' and 'air curtains' for aerodynamic purposes - cf. the 'form follows function' motto) and metal mesh parts still to be added in order to properly integrate the front parking sensors + to host a license plate + black plastic parts hosting the LiDAR located in the lower central intake.

To those skilled in drafting renders: add 'fangs' (either in body color or in carbon fiber), a license plate, LiDAR \sides/ and eventually also throw a CF splitter in the mix.

F87 M2 ('fangs' and 'air curtains' integrated - not bolted on):

F87 M2 Competition ('fangs' and 'air curtains' integrated - not bolted on):

F87 M2 CS ('fangs' and 'air curtains' integrated - not bolted on):

Lazy quick photoshop hack just to get you the very basic idea of the visual effect of added fangs and air curtains (keep in mind that the mystery front bumper features squircles, more boxy):

F87 M2 lower front end added to your render:
Name:  G87_M2_FrontEnd2.PNG
Views: 1192
Size:  967.5 KB

F87 M2 CS lower front end added to your render:
Name:  G87_M2_FrontEnd3.PNG
Views: 1203
Size:  1.01 MB

Now compare with your original render (no fangs and no air curtains yet):
Name:  G87_M2_FrontEnd.PNG
Views: 1117
Size:  1.04 MB