View Single Post
      04-11-2024, 06:45 PM   #30
m2not1LE
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: GTI, 2025 M4 Comp on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by davecraig814 View Post
Hi crew. I appreciate all the G87 activity across this forum. This seems like a great community. I am considering a move to an M2 from my 2018 Golf R. Curious to hear if other folks here have made a similar jump:

-How does an M2 compare on rough roads? Freeway expansion joints and pot holes can be cringeworthy on impact in my stock golf r. Should I expect more compliance or less compliance in the M2?

-Rattles in door cards and dash: My Golf R drives me nuts with rattles and buzzing at 30,000 miles. Can I expect quieter plastics in the M2 or is this just part of driving?

-Seat comfort: My wife is not comfortable for longer road trips in the Golf. Side bolsters prevent her from getting naps in on longer road trips. How do your partners find the seat comfort in the standard-non carbon seats on weekend trips away?

-DSG vs Manual:The Golf is great for carving canyons but I find the car lacks emotion and excitement with its DSG, that lack of emotion coverts to a pretty easy daily however. Am I crazy for considering a manual M2 to bring some zest back into my driving life? How much more liveable does the automatic make the M2?

An M2 would serve as a weekend car and occasional daily runaround car for me. I am not commuting today. We have a Tacoma for skiing, mountainbiking, camping and my wife’s daily commute.

My dealer just let me know an allocation came available, but no M2’s are available to test drive at this point through my dealer.

Thanks in advance for any info you can share.
Very hard to find a car for test driving at dealerships. I order mine (2025) based on my experiences with a friend's 2021 M2 CS, along with many of his other M cars.

Current gen. M2's side bolsters are least as aggressive as your GTI's and likely more so. Don't even think about buying one with the carbon seats if that's an issue.

Auto and manual car fuel economy is essentially identical (and terrible by Golf R standards).

If you order one, be sure to tell your sales rep that you want a 2025 car. 20 more HP (plus a significant engine torque boost for automatic cars), some new pair colors and perhaps other minor enhancements.

2025 cars will be more expensive, though late production 2024 cars will take a larger immediate hit on resale value.

Note that automatic cars are quicker/faster (i.e. quarter mile) that manuals.

My current ride is a 2018 GTI Autobahn 6 speed manual; car has ZERO rattles or squeaks at 37,000 miles.

M2 ride quality over road imperfections is about the same as your Golf R in its most aggressive setting; Golf R is softer in least aggressive suspension setting.

Better off with an M240i is ride quality is a major concern. M240i also pretty much matches your Golf R fuel economy, despite the M240 being more powerful and heavier. However, no manual trans for the M240i (or its AWD counterpart).

BMW M2 is a very aggressive car by street standards; M240 is a better real world choice for most. - Bob
Appreciate 1
ayilar20.50