View Single Post
      08-31-2023, 11:39 AM   #12
ZPD
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850i GC, 2023 G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT3M2 View Post
There’s more to it than just the spring rate, dampers are made to work in a specific range of stroke.

Any lowering springs on a factory damper are going to move the range where the shock/strut sits, not only when static but also under compression.

The issue with the kw/bmw performance springs is that the combination puts the shock and struts out of that sweet spot, that combined with the adjustable perch means that you’re giving up available travel so you will end up riding on the bump stops during full compression which isn’t the goal.

I think you will find on a the street it will ride fine but the car will drive poorly on track under load/compression.

Taiga2002 recently tracked his with a similar setup and reported something along those lines iirc.

-GT3M2
I found it interesting that the KW bumpstops were only ~ .5" taller than the OE. Assuming equal geometry and durometer I would suspect that would be the delta to compression. You are right though- it would be out of the sweet spot.
My previous track car was a S550 Mustang. In that world, coilovers were frowned on (Ohlins were the exception) but that was mostly because there were so many good aftermarket options for track systems using the MacPherson strut style.
I will report back after my track days. I might have a lightly used HAS system available for someone
Appreciate 1
GT3M2175.50