View Single Post
      04-19-2022, 07:07 PM   #1
CalAcacian
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

BMW Gen 3 Level 2 Charger delayed for months

My dad recently sold his 2019 Model X and moved back into a BMW with the X5 45e. We have 2 Tesla level 2 chargers installed in the garage for the Model X and a Model 3.

We placed the order for the X5 45e back in mid-February, and had been actively shopping for the car since January. At that time, there were almost none on lots within 50 miles of me in Orange County, and we knew that we wanted a custom order anyways.

The BMW USA site said that the Gen 3 Level 2 wall charger would be out in Spring of 2022. Perfect, we thought.

The vehicle arrived and we picked it up, and I called up EV Pros, who had done the install of our Tesla wall chargers and breakers (by the way, I massively recommend them for anyone interested in EV charging installs in Orange County, they were incredibly professional and both installations they have done are top notch).

I then called BMW Irvine and BMW USA, who both confirmed that not only was the BMW site (which still showed the charger coming out in Spring of 2022) wrong, but that they had no information about when the charger would be released. The best I could get from BMW USA was that it may come out in Q4 of 2022. Luckily, this isn't a pure electric vehicle, but this is a huge problem. How is BMW 6 months behind on releasing this product, and why are dealers not addressing that upfront.

I can't speak for the iX, i4, etc. buyers, but I can't imagine they are happy to buy a car without a wall box. The best solution BMW offered was a $500 220v cable which would require installing a new outlet which would have to be replaced again when the wall box was introduced.

Personally, I think this is a pretty big failure on BMW's part to communicate. Have any of you had a similar experience with BMW charging products?
Appreciate 0