View Single Post
      04-20-2022, 04:38 PM   #13
CalAcacian
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaztheDad View Post
Great cross section of cars! Thank you for affirming why I talked the wife out of the Volvo. That's a brutal experience.

We picked up our 45e last month, which I'm incredibly impressed with the electric range considering its having to work through a traditional ICE driveline.

To make matters worse, after driving a 90D for a few years I've forgotten how nice interiors can be. Neighbor has an M2, PCD had an epic M3, and here I am doubting owning a BEV.
To be fair to the Volvo, while the outdated infotainment (tiny screen, sluggish response, byzantine menu structure, and over reliance on menus instead of physical controls) is a major error in design, my understanding is that the hybrid system issues have largely been worked out following the 2020 model year that we had.

The extreme cost of that repair is largely due to the design of the system: the rear axle and electric motor are a singe combined unit that have to be removed and replaced.

For the time being, I still love my M2. I specifically bought it in mid-2020 as what could be my last gas-powered, turbo charged, loud daily. I tend to keep my cars for a fairly long time, and the rate of electric advancement is such that I wanted to wait at least 3 or 4 years for the technology to progress before I bought an electric.
Appreciate 0