View Single Post
      11-03-2023, 11:58 PM   #111
rad_thundercat
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 230i M Package

This is an interesting discussion

Both points are valid imo, you need to plan to retire comfortably, yet you could also get hit by a bus tomorrow. So we try to land on a spot between those bookends.

We’ve got this take on one end,

Quote:
I also would aim for 33% of your gross. If you're really a car guy, maybe stretch to 40%. So a decently loaded M240i xDrive after TTL is like $60K, so you'd need to make $150K minimum.
And the other end here,
Quote:
150k minimum is a comical amount for an M240i xDrive, let's be real. $7500/month take home for a 60k car after benefits/retirement contribution?
Especially if he's living at home, $15k down even @ 60 months is roughly $900/month for financing if he wants the car. It's not like he's going to be struggling to live with 100k gross buying a 60k car.
Personally, I fall just outside of OP1’s algorithm so naturally I’m more biased with OP2. But this is the part I find interesting;

I know it’s more responsible to have a Camry as a daily driver, but if I’m on the hook for working 40 hours a week with high stake responsibilities, I need some sort of offset.

Maybe this is a character flaw, but either way it’s important to be honest with yourself about it. I need to feel the benefits of that labor even if it’s just during the drives to and from work.

Last edited by rad_thundercat; 11-04-2023 at 12:53 AM..
Appreciate 0