Equilibrandt
Auto/DCT Zealot
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3, Miata

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaizer84 View Post
Ehhh, I don’t think there is any “pearl clutching” going on, it’s just like the OP stated- acknowledging the fact that the “M”brand has been watered down- plain and simple. Once they started the whole M340i etc, that was it. Why not call it a 340i? Why put the “M” designation when in actuality it isn’t an M? Just look at the abomination of a car the XM, wtf is that??? Gimme a break. Go ahead and put M on every single thing now, who cares. The brand has gone down the drain and the once revered “M” badge/division doesn’t hold the same stature as it once did. It is what it is.
Honestly, I don't get the 340i take at all.

Find me a sedan that could compete with an M340i... most of the MBs are 4 cyl AMGs, an Audi S3/RS3? A Cadillac CT4-V non-Blackwing, an Acura TLX Type S?

These M340i are pretty serious performance sedans and definitely deserve the M badging, as it's becoming more and more well-known that an M-Lite is comparable to a previous-gen M3 on every freeway and on-ramp at semi-safe and semi-legal speeds. Performance cars deserve performance parts and performance names, which is why the jump from a 330i to an M340i is a world of difference.

No G20 M340i is eating a prospective G80 M3 owner's lunch; the used F80 market, however, is probably getting munched. And that's the exact point: if a G20 B58 can dissuade someone from getting an F80 instead, it deserves an M badge.