02-19-2024, 07:18 PM   #9
WA
G42 B58 C56
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pg80 View Post
Does anybody have experience with both? I have an M240. Hitting the docs today and I was under the impression that cars built after July 2023 were able to get 8.5 but now I’m being told that it’s not possible and I’m trying to decide if I don’t want to accept the car or not because I don’t really want to get stuck with iDrive eight but I’m looking for insight from anyone who has used iDrive eight or both if it’s that big of a deal or not, I have no experience with it past the videos I have seen on the Internet
There was this blog article from last August that might be a reason for ongoing misinformation ...
https://www.bmwblog.com/2023/08/09/2...et-idrive-8-5/

... which says According to a BMW dealer, the BMW iDrive 8.5 will be available for the 2024 Model Year 2 Series as an update.

Most dealers in my experience are not a great source of product information, as their focus is on selling cars, making money. The product (and accurate information about it) is a bit secondary. And in this case, what the dealer apparently told him turned out to be false.

Not great "journalism" (he describes himself as a journalist, and founder of the site) that he didn't get better, more official confirmation, and that the article is still as is, uncorrected.

I have a 2024 with iDrive8, and from what I've seen 8.5 is a minor improvement to the UI, but not drastic. The changes might be all UI, meaning cosmetic, not actual new/different functions we would be "missing out" on with iDrive8.

So while I was also disappointed that mine didn't have 8.5 for those minor improvements, I didn't see it as a reason to forgo delivery.
Appreciate 1
AlexC2er108.00