Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDemma View Post
This article sums it up nicely:

https://www.motor1.com/news/518516/2...ries-revealed/

The proportions and stance of the new 2 Series are very nice, but there are details that let the coupe down. For starters, the M240i's front bumper treatment is oddly sharp and geometrical, at odds with the otherwise conventional styling – the 230i is better composed in this regard. And the taillights of both look misshapen, with angular accent lights swimming in a sea of black housing material. And not everyone loves the bulging fenders, particularly the sharp vertical break behind the front wheel.

The 2022 BMW 2 Series has finally done away with its standard manual transmission, with both 230i and M240i models coming exclusively with an eight-speed Steptronic gearbox. That's a real shame, particularly in a car that's supposed to recall the 2002, a holy grail for performance purity. At least it boasts launch control and a "Sprint" function, which switches to the lowest possible gear when after the driver holds the left shift paddle for one second.

The 2022 BMW 2 Series is a bit larger than the vehicle it replaces. The 230i is 4.3 inches longer, 2.6 inches wider, and a full inch lower, resting on a 107.9-inch wheelbase, up 2 from the outgoing car – the M240i is 3.5 inches longer and 0.1-inch lower, with the other increases porting over. The 230i weighs 3,519 pounds, up from 3,386 in the old model, while the M240i xDrive weighs 3,871 pounds (up 352 from its 2021 equivalent).

Yet in spite of those dimensional increases, the new 2 has a bit less headroom, shoulder room, and legroom for both front and rear passengers than its predecessor. The trunk is likewise cut from 13.1 cubic feet to just 10.0 cubes, so folks trading in an old 2 Series should make sure all their stuff will fit in the new one.

We applaud BMW for giving the new 2 Series some styling restraint, with excellent rear-drive proportions and a subdued front grille. The lack of a manual transmission option is sad and there are definitely some confusing design choices, but that likely won't matter to BMW's current clientele, who seem to appreciate exuberance more than classical styling and an involving driving experience. While it might not be the 2002 redux we all dream of, the 2022 BMW 2 Series should still be a hot seller for the company.

Wait, how did you lose leg room, shoulder room, trunk space, head space....and they made the car 4 inches longer and 2.5 inches wider?
I can guess why.

If you study the proportions against the predecessor, it looks like they have stretched the chassis between A pillar and front wheel. Everything else looks pretty much unchanged. Maybe to move the tunnel forward to get a more aligned driving position. It was one of the criticisms about F2x/87 series by some.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
frosty2k148.00
ntg442891.50
pyrat15194.50