View Single Post
      09-01-2022, 09:36 PM   #9
Ricochet48
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 RSX-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project_F87 View Post
So instead of caring about performance and efficiency, it seems you mainly care about efficiency. M cars are absolutely less efficient than the standard series BMWs, but literally no one buys M cars with the intention of them to be MORE efficient than a standard series car. It is foolish to even consider a car with greater performance would also have better fuel efficiency (until hybrid powertrains are introduced at least). The S58 is better than the B58 in every single way
Nope, I care about the balance. Of course I don't expect it to be MORE efficient, I just think the trade-off is a weak one vs. the M240ix.

The S58 is not better in every way, it's much, much worse in efficiency. That extra power can almost never be used, unless you're on a track all the time or going full boy racer in the burbs. The B58 puts down 400whp, which is enough in 95% of situations (and faster than like 90% of the cars on the road stock). I would rather be slower than the M2 5% of the time, but ~30% more efficient cruising on the highway when premium gas is like $6 (and my Tesla friends laugh at me haha).

Suspension and such are another thing. I wish they had more suspension upgrades for the M240i to get even closer to the M2 (or just an M2 with the B58 would be great imo).

Also higher performance does not automatically mean worse efficiency. The M240i is like 3x the power of my RSX-S and gets better mpg. Technology continues to advance and some models just put more effort in to save you at the pump. Even in current times, take a sample of all 300hp and then 400hp cars, there's a surprising amount of efficiency overlap (e.g. some 400hp cars getting the same mpg as 300hp ones).

Quote:
"Exactly. If efficiency is a necessity, a full M car is not for you."
100%, the M2 is not for me. The M240ix with AWD in Chicago's winter is a much more logical move for me (and most buyers). If I was very wealthy, could afford a fun weekend car, lived near a track (or the very least some nice twisty roads rather than bump city ones), and didn't care about the efficiency, then ya a manual M2 would a solid pick. To be honest I would get a tuned manual Supra over an M2 if I was going to impractical route as it's such a head turner.

Last edited by Ricochet48; 09-01-2022 at 09:42 PM..
Appreciate 0