Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvd_rsti View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavus View Post
currently own e90 n55 manual

tracked e90 m3, 330, 335, 135 once

you can make any car better with big enough budget but out of the factory they are diff machines cause they are built for diff spectrums or missions

to make it even clearer … go ride with P club full track day 4 sessions at 60-140mph over 40-50 laps and let me know if you'd rather have m2 or 240 … then pack up your gear and ride home
Any experience with E36's? a few years back I owned a 320i and a 318is coupes, and tracked 320i, 318is, M3(My landlord's) and B6 Alpina (Neighbor's) at Monza (plus a few Ford's but not relevant). Also, drove the 318is, 320 and Alpina through some nice twisty roads through Piancavallo towards Barcis and SP 63(?). On that generation I'll take the 318is in its stock form any day as it felt better balanced at the track and through tight corners, never felt lagging in power even though it had the M44 engine with only 130-something HP, and was fantastic on gas milage, which might not matter to most on the US but live a few years in Europe and you'll understand. The reason I bring this up, I see a lot of similarities on this G42 series in its variants to the E36's, primarily when it comes to cost, weight to power, weight distribution, and turning radius amongst the variants. It's why I chose the 230i vs m240i as I have amazing mountain roads near where I live as well as a track nearby, though I'm open to reassess once the M2 has been out and all the finer pecs and info released. That's all to say that the M car might not be the best variant, though i get that may be subjective.
completely understand!

I was driven in e36 m3 on track but the US e36 m3 did not get the "real" euro engine and that's the one I'd like to try. This one was modded but could not keep up with most cars. The biggest issue with w36 are small fenders. We joke it's the only m3 without flared fenders so you need to mod the rear at least. Also, starting with e9x the chassis upgrades are very noticeable compared to e46 and e36. it's like a piece of granite and you feel it in corners. There is no flex.

With so many good choices out there it really depends on the driver what do you prefer. I know that lighter car is usually a better driver and saves on consumables like tires, pads, gas etc. I think one of the great values now is og m2 with bbk added. It's a nice mid pack car that is good enough and you can do some light mods if budget allows while being 150+ lbs lighter than m2c.

All other 4cyl bmws are momentum cars and good to learn handling and car control but they can't keep up with 400+ hp new machines obviously. You may want to check out base Caymans also, they are great drivers.

Kind of a general response so not sure if it answers your questions.
Appreciate 0