View Single Post
      05-10-2023, 05:08 PM   #58
JustinHEMI
Not great. Not terrible
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02M3ForMe View Post
Don't worry about these reviews; I can tell you definitively that the G87 is a fantastic car and the S58 + M3 underpinnings in a car with this wheelbase at this price is something you don't want to miss.

Disclaimer about the 6MT version. I have spent extensive time with both the 6MT and ZF8 auto, both are excellent. The 6MT car feels less lively than the ZF8 during normal driving. The combo of a linear powerband and fewer gears means you're spending more time moving through the weaker part of the torque curve. You simply have to work more and push harder to get to the parts where the S58 shines brightly. This is especially important to note during break-in (assuming you're observing it), since you aren't sampling the car's true talents yet. Once you're out of break-in and can take it to redline, you'll be pleasantly surprised by how vicious the Mr. Hyde side of the car can be. It's an accentuated version of the E92 M3 experience.

Once you've sampled the 6MT after "driving it like you stole it", you'll feel better about and maybe even appreciate the smooth, daily-friendly nature of the car at lower driving intensity. Total security after that since you'll know what you have.

Any less-than-enthusiastic review you've seen of the G87 is of the 6MT car, which exposes the problem with taking the word of people who are forced to develop opinions on tight schedules with sometimes insufficient drive time.

The 6MT car gives you every reason to shift when you're going for it, which is exactly what makes sense for a #SaveTheManuals product. This is not a B58 or N55 where the low-end torque let's you easily be a hooligan around town between 0 and 50mph. If you want that experience, the ZF8 car with its shorter gears and quick and effortless shifting action does a great job of giving you both sides of the spectrum.

On the transmission front, there's no wrong answer with this car. Get whichever you like; there are very real merits to both.