04-18-2023, 08:37 AM   #46
dagoban
Private
Spain
Rep
Drives: E21 320/6;E31 840i M;G87 M2 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero21 View Post
It's easy when the cars are in garages most of the time. Have you seen cars from the 2000's with exposed carbon? Honestly most look terrible IME 15yrs later.

I agree if you ceramic coat and take care of it it will last. Same is true for normal paint though.

Edit:The other thing is: it's simple, epoxy and resin turns yellow in sunlight. There's no getting away from that.

I've been cycling since 2005 on and off. Anything but the best carbon frames look terrible after so many years in sunlight.
I am also a cyclist and I know how carbon frames age. Compared to the frames of the 1990s, modern frames are not autoclaved and are therefore less resistant to cracking.

I also work in aviation and I know very well the problems that carbon fiber produces. Here in Spain it is very sunny in the south, and it rains little but when it rains it rains very hard, even with hail, so I have chosen the steel roof which fortunately we can choose. Repairing a steel roof is expensive, but repairing a carbon roof is more expensive, and the carbon roof option costs €3,000 to save 6kg on a 1,700kg car, not worth it to me.

by dagoban, en Flickr

by dagoban, en Flickr
Appreciate 2
CSBM52756.00
DSTR1284.50