VIERsr
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
Seems like in North America a lot of preference for Michelin vs Pirelli is based on not comparing like with like and being aware of the full range available. I've had a lot of good and bad Michelin tyres and a lot of good and bad Pirelli tyres. A standard P-Zero is not the same as a P-Zero Corsa which is not the same as a P-Zero Trofeo R, same as a Pilot Primacy is not the same as a Pilot Sport 4S which is not the same as a Pilot Sport Cup 2.

I've found the Pilot Super Sport in the past to be a poor track day tyre, but good for 3-seasons road use, the P-Zero Corsa and Cup 2 would obviously be better choices for track days and a non-road-legal tyre which is still my favourite track day tyre is the Pirelli DM slick.

I've also had better experience with Pirelli Sottozero 2 & 3 tyres over Michelin PA 3 winter tyres in terms of both grip and handling in winter conditions.

Overall Pirelli and Michelin both have good tyres in lots of different classes, I don't think a general statement that one manufacturers tyre over the other is any better is valid, it depends on individual tyre comparisons in a given class.
True, you have to compare tires belonging to the same class.
That said, I found the 4S much superior to the PZ4 and the PA4 much better than the Sottozero 3 (especially on wet), and we can say that all these tires belong to the same class and era.
I cannot speak for the other tires mentioned, but if I could choose tires for the M2, I would choose Michelin every day and every night.
It is also important to mention the specific compound, the Porsche NA P Zeros are nothing like the regular P Zeros, just like the Bmw's starred Michelin's perform better than the regular Michelin's.
When I had the 1M my father had a Cayman S, both cars with Michelin PS2s but one NA and the other normal (I don't remember if starred or not but it doesn't matter), and despite the greater weight and torque of my 1M and a couple of trackdays, my tires lasted 50% longer, but the grip was also significantly less.
Appreciate 1