04-20-2024, 11:03 AM   #79
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly Kar View Post
I don't understand why some people, especially those OCD'd with their car, want to sit and idle. BMW tells you to start and drive for a reason. Idling is not as efficient and it puts more wear on the vehicle. The engine and transmission need to warm up together. Plus, why does anyone want to waste gas and pollute for no reason?

I don't even get why some people want to disable their autostop button. 95% of the time there's a car in front of me at the red light and I can't go any faster than that car anyway. Or maybe there's more people that live in Ringling, MT than I thought.
Different strokes for different folks..

Lived next door to a woman who would let her new T-Bird idle for minutes every morning. At some point we were talking and I asked her about that. She said that's what her husband (but at the time ex-husband) said to do. I didn't feel that suggesting she do otherwise would go over well.

As for auto stop/start I'm old school -- and from my motorcycle days extremely sensitive to the engine -- and I just can't get used to having an engine stop without me turning the key off or pushing the stop button. And the few times I have tried to live with the feature the (re)start causes me to hesitate. It is so unnerving and especially with a manual transmission equipped car as I apparently am quicker with the clutch than the engine can restart.

If I find myself in a situation where I know I'll be not moving for a bit -- say at a train crossing -- I'll switch off the engine.
Appreciate 0