Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mose121 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
LOL, it's all good bro, never mind my shit-talking, speak your mind; your money, your choice..

However, I really believe it boils down to the Benjamins..

Reading between the lines of the video I linked, the BMW engineer stated that they didn't want to spend the resources to design a proper caliper from scratch, since there wasn't yet available on the market that they could simple grab off the shelf that works in conjunction with e-brakes and just throw it on..

Personally, I believe it's a cop-out, considering what they charge per vehicle but it's what it is..
I mean, it's not like Brembo doesn't already have multiple setups that could easily be adapted, and would out perform BMW's brakes right off the shelf. They certainly don't have to spend the extra time and money to develop it themselves. I'd say cost was perhaps an acceptable excuse up until the F8X was released. Those rotors/calipers didn't cost much less than a 911 steel rotor/red caliper, and people would gladly pay the appox. $1,000 more to get a true big brake setup on an ///M car.

Yea well, if they decided to put some baby dick rear floating calipers on their new flashship M car, the M5, M8 and even the M4 CSL and where fully aware of questionable appearance, it had to come down to cost because expenses aside, a second clamp works as good failsafe, in case the main brakes fail. That adds to the safety of the vehicle.

It was engineering decision to stay within budget, for a return that might not of amortize. When saying, I'm sure the floating calipers works just as fine.

Sad because with electric cars being their next frontier, physical braking is not as a heavy necessity for stopping due to energy regeneration. So we might never see true rear fixed brakes on a BMW.
Appreciate 0