Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
I don't think it being touchscreen is all bad, so long as it's designed properly. I remember when people refused to get rid of their phones that had physical buttons, but now virtually every phone is a full touchscreen. Haptic feedback would be nice if they can pull it off. If history is any indication BMW will update how iDrive is integrated into the dash as well as its functionality, especially for LCI models.
Touch screens for phones or tablets work because they require your undivided attention. Hence why they are banned when driving cars.

The BMW implementation looks pretty decent, way ahead of Tesla's disaster. But neither are very safe. Hence why they are usually sold in concert with loads of active driver aids to prevent accidents.

I love tech and app design & development, its what I do for a living. However I much prefer tactile buttons and physical knobs that you can use by feel and muscle memory in a car. None of my cars have active driver safety aids, but they all have great ergonomics.

Just my personal preference. Driving for me is all about the joy of the driving experience. I accept I am in a tiny minority.
Appreciate 10
///M TOWN17228.00
eddj464.50
P111572.00
pablom2c124.50
ASAP10162.50
T_U_D6679.50
chrisk03153.00
Ugly Kar414.50