03-28-2024, 12:32 AM   #13019
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 320I

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3zmac View Post
I have a pixel and while my stretch doesn't seem as bad as yours (F25 x3), I haven't found a solution yet. I've been just using it stretched, which bothers me less than having blank areas on the left and right of the screen from the scrap adjustment.

Android Auto SHOULD support any size screen, just like CarPlay does. From the threads linked below, it looks like Android relies on the car manufacturer to tell the phone what size display it should use. Otherwise the phone will use it's best guess, which may either not fill the screen, or may appear stretched. Our MMI devices must not be communicating screen resolution back to the phone the way it expects (it may not be their fault- who knows if the car allows them to detect the resolution first place!), so the phone standardizes the Android Auto resolution as close as it can estimate. I'm not sure how CarPlay gets around this, but Apple has a history of using their own non-standard methods to figure these things out.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AndroidAuto...id_auto_fully/

https://support.google.com/androidau...r-screen?hl=en

There may be a way to mess with it in developer settings, but I'm not seeing an AndroidAuto setting in my developer settings. Next time I'm in my car I will connect and see if I AndroidAuto customizations pop up in developer settings.

Again, this is all a guess- I could be way off in how all of these thigns work so don't necessarily take my word for it.
You are correct. The mmi sends the resolution/aspect ratio and dpi ("density") values to the phone. The problem with all of the mmi's, except Bimmertech's, is that they are sending the same resolution value for both 8.8" and 10.2" screen, i.e. 1280x480. This is why the display appears stretched on 10.2" screens. Bimmertech's mmi sends a resolution of 1280x480 for the 8.8" screen and 1440x540 for the 10.2" screen.

As a side note, the dpi values change the size of the screen elements and they also trigger changes in the layout. For example, in the attached pic the eta bar at the bottom is displayed much smaller than usual after increasing the dpi on my Carlinkit unit.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0