View Single Post
      06-20-2023, 11:13 PM   #12
~Barn~
Neophyte
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M240i xDrive

Garage List
For many years now I've adopted the hard break-in theory to get the rings seated and expose those internal to the "real world" pressures and speeds that actual (spirited) driving will produce. Maybe there is another thread buried from many years ago where this topic was hashed out to the n'th but I'm curious of any new/old owners who also have adopted this philosophy?

Not that it means anything, but I've broken in multiple sportbike engines this way, a car or two, and I've never encountered any problems. One of the bikes interestingly enough, I did the break-in on a dyno and about 6 years later did it again at the same shop and was only down 3HP, which I thought was pretty incredible.

Anyway... From what I'm reading in various threads here on the forum it looks like most folks are keeping it "by the book", and I'm just curious if the rationale is that you believe in it? Is there diagnostic data that BMW can start digging into as an excuse to void your -W-? Something other? TIA, if you're willing to share!
Appreciate 0