m3number86
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: slow m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoenG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by italiabrain View Post
I think the addition of the M version of X drive as an option that is not paired with trim level or anything else is all positives, but that wouldn’t be the case.

Those who want it can also disable it and have RWD dynamics with little added weight

Those who don’t want it lose nothing except:

My problem with Mx drive is how BMW have implemented it in a tiered system on the M3/4. I would prefer a competition or CS if I was getting an M3/4, except that both of those mandate AWD, which mandates the ZF auto. Because a subset of people really want AWD that then indirectly kills manual sales, which does affect those of us who want a manual.

I have an F90 comp and I can say it’s the best AWD system I’ve driven by far. It’s truly rear-biased and the transfer of torque to the front is seamless on dry roads. On lower traction surfaces you can feel the transition some when it happens more abruptly. It also completely disables if you want to hoon around.

The BMW tuning on the ZF8 is also the best torque converter box I’ve ever driven. If you’re someone who can deal with (or who likes) autos, I’m sure it’ll be fine in the M2 as well, but I’m really itching to get back into a manual after having the M5 for a few years. The slight delay for paddle inputs and automatic downshifting when slowing really bother me (sometimes causing a double downshift when I’m off the gas and use the paddle to do the same thing not realizing the car already has). But it’s also better than others’ tuning of the ZF8 and worlds better than the Aisin box my wife has.

As far as M RWD traction, it’s good on a flat well-maintained surface with warm tires. I have a freeway ramp on the way home from work that slopes down to the freeway and is too close to the parking garage to have any heat in the tires, even when it’s warm out. The M5 will reliably break out the rear from a second gear roll and sometimes in 3rd… and this is dry pavement, 80 degree weather. I’m fine with that, but sometimes you just want to put the hammer down and merge. There’s something to be said for the Jekyll/Hyde created with the M shortcuts and Mx drive.
two remarks:
1. the tiering you discuss is more engine output driven than A/RWD. The manual transmission can't cope with more than 550Nm. A lot of forum members would like to see their niche version of the M manual they prefer, but I believe we have to be happy we still get ONE variant. Worldwide MT represents the small minority and bean counters want to ditch it to reduce costs every occassion they can!
2. You want to get back into a MT to be more connected? You might be in for a negative surprise, the ZF shifts 20 times faster than the mediocre manual they provide. Also, shifting down (even with heel-toe) requires a lot of time, certainly compared to a simple flick of your right foot with the ZF. The haptical experience from shifting is only average at best and the clutch travel is way too long with a high positioned clutch grip point in that travel. So yes, a short throw box with a short travel clutch would be nice, butI'am afraid you need to get a Honda for that.
That sounds so boring lol

Ppl are driving gt3 manuals. It's the connection not the technology. The technology is undeniably great though.
Appreciate 1
KoenG1428.50