Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by italiabrain View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoenG View Post
two remarks:
1. the tiering you discuss is more engine output driven than A/RWD. The manual transmission can't cope with more than 550Nm. A lot of forum members would like to see their niche version of the M manual they prefer, but I believe we have to be happy we still get ONE variant. Worldwide MT represents the small minority and bean counters want to ditch it to reduce costs every occassion they can!
It's both. They don't offer AWD on the base manual M3 or M4 either. I agree with you though in the sense that they basically made an agreement with the bean counters to keep and do EPA certs for the manual, but only if they put zero R&D into it being any better than the outgoing model. I could be wrong, but I didn't think the manual being used in the M3/M4 was compatible with AWD as is. I agree they're only going to put the effort into doing one trim level -- I just wish it was the top trim, or at least the top of the volume trims.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoenG View Post
2. You want to get back into a MT to be more connected? You might be in for a negative surprise, the ZF shifts 20 times faster than the mediocre manual they provide. Also, shifting down (even with heel-toe) requires a lot of time, certainly compared to a simple flick of your right foot with the ZF. The haptical experience from shifting is only average at best and the clutch travel is way too long with a high positioned clutch grip point in that travel. So yes, a short throw box with a short travel clutch would be nice, butI'am afraid you need to get a Honda for that.
I don't think this has been a surprise to anyone not living under a rock for the last decade or two and I certainly didn't suggest otherwise. It's engagement / control / experience. I've only owned two autos. I'm well aware.

Further it's not an argument for the auto being the slushbox they've gone with. DCTs are even better in all those categories. The BMW implementation of the ZF8 is the best of the slushboxes... but it is not a PDK and it is certainly not a 3 pedal.

For me personally I looked at the M3/M4 but between confining the manual to the base, continuing the old mediocre manual without any development, and that front end -- I'm out.

Tried for a GT3, but I'm not paying $100k over sticker and I'm not some "influencer" with connections to get one without getting screwed.

Ended up putting in an order for an Emira, we'll see how that goes with Lotus' history -- a topic for a different forum

Was following the M2 primarily as a backup for that. Now, if they made an M2 with both mX AWD and a manual, then that could be an interesting proposition for a 4-season car.... that's all. They won't so it's moot.

The next car will be a manual -- that was decided long before the brand or even the number of doors. I'd get a Civic before I got an M2 with an auto personally.
Civic ⁉️

Hilarious 😂 😷 🤣