Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrix1st View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Auto or not, it's a running joke because it rarely ever happens. M owners always make the claim, but it's all talk 95% of the time. The reason is irrelevant.
That intrigues me.. is it because BMW M is relatively all over the place when Porsche stays consistent with their product philosophy i.e. build sports cars?

Such claim to switch is definitely much more pronounced from M customers in switching to Porsche than any other customers from the segment, so there must be a corresponding factor.
I think it's because Porsche is the obtainable every day super car and is often deemed "the next logical step" for the BMW M driver. Judging by how many Porsche owners came from BMW M, there's probably a lot of truth to the speculation. Porsche basically builds two cars for a BMW M driver: the Boxster/Cayman and the Carrera……and their focus is significantly more narrowed than BMW's. People aren't typically going from a BMW M to a Ferrari or Lambo; people usually jump to those brands from Porsche.

If you look at my poll, for example, 246 people claim they will/would jump to Porsche because of the G8X. I would bet that number is really closer to 20, and I'm being generous AND including the 7 or so of us who have actually done it (…4 of the 7 have already posted their cars in the banned thread with CanAutM3 opting for the top dollar Turbo S; me and TheScout13 are awaiting the delivery of our C2S's at the end of the year; Arcades already had a Macan, but bought the GT4 instead of the G8X and I believe it'll be delivered by the end of the year as well). I bet we won't be seeing 246 "Hey guys! Look at my new Porsche" threads or posts popping up on Bimmerpost.

This tendency isn't born from/of the G8X though. Back when the E46 came out, people who didn't like it claimed they'd jump to the Porsche 996…..and so forth and so on throughout the years. There were a small handful that did - mostly to the 996 Turbo - and who posted/showcased their cars, but the rest simply stuck with BMW….

….until the next time they didn't like something and claimed, yet again, they'd be jumping to Porsche.
Appreciate 2
JTO245271.50
heavyD^23688.50