Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
I think it's because Porsche is the obtainable every day super car and is often deemed "the next logical step" for the BMW M driver. Judging by how many Porsche owners came from BMW M, there's probably a lot of truth to the speculation. Porsche basically builds two cars for a BMW M driver: the Boxster/Cayman and the Carrera……and their focus is significantly more narrowed than BMW's. People aren't typically going from a BMW M to a Ferrari or Lambo; people usually jump to those brands from Porsche.

If you look at my poll, for example, 246 people claim they will/would jump to Porsche because of the G8X. I would bet that number is really closer to 20, and I'm being generous AND including the 7 or so of us who have actually done it (…4 of the 7 have already posted their cars in the banned thread; me and TheScout13 are awaiting the delivery of our cars at the end of the year; Arcades already had a Macan, but bought the GT4 instead of the G8X and I believe it'll be delivered by the end of the year as well). I bet we won't be seeing 246 "Hey guys! Look at my new Porsche" threads or posts popping up on Bimmerpost.

This tendency isn't born from/of the G8X though. Back when the E46 came out, people who didn't like it claimed they'd jump to the Porsche 996…..and so forth and so on throughout the years. There were a small handful that did - mostly to the 996 Turbo - and who posted/showcased their cars, but the rest simply stuck with BMW….

….until the next time they didn't like something and claimed, yet again, they'd be jumping to Porsche.
Sounds like BMW owners have been temperamental for a long time.
They have! That temperamental nature is what put Porsche on the map for me. When I left Honda in 2000/2001, the BMW M3 was the end all, be all for me. I didn't even recognize Porsche at the time. Fast forward to BMW M drivers always tossing the Porsche 996 into the mix, and I became curious/intrigued. I liked it…..I kinda wanted it, but I knew I couldn't afford it. Then later on it was the 997. I liked that car even more, but still couldn't afford it. Then the 991 hit the scene and finally there was a Porsche that I really wanted. I ran the numbers, but I couldn't make the jump comfortably. I drooled….and lusted after the 991…….but then the 992 hit the scene and I was in love. I mean, Margot Robbie in love!!!!! Then the market went nuts, the pandemic caused chip shortages, the 992 could be had with a delay AND I sold my M4 that netted me a significant chunk of equity in my pocket; it was the perfect storm. That perfect storm allowed for a $50k down payment that made the 992 a reality. Absent that storm, I would be in a G82 right now.
Appreciate 2
JTO245271.50
MPSdriver192.00