KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
Means nothing IMO. My MK7 Golf R was made in Germany and build quality was no better than a co-worker's mexican made MK7.5. In fact it was a little worse as my Golf R had some some paint defects on delivery.
I've had the same experience - My Golf R out of Wolfsburg is fine, and my wife's former 2015 Golf TDI out of Puebla was also screwed together just as well and was 100% trouble-free (other than that little diesel scandal thing, ahem). No sign of any lack of quality whatsoever.

That said - I don't want a BMW built in Mexico, especially not an M car. The factory is fairly new - about 2 years old. VW has been building cars down there since the '80s. And suppliers are also setting up shop down there for the first time. I just saw an Audi Q5 on BaT that was Mexican-built and the parts content was something like 68% Mexico - basically just the tranny & motor came from Europe. Can we trust all the various suppliers to be building parts to the same quality standards in new factories? I dunno.
///M TOWN13142.00