11-13-2021, 05:51 PM   #38
yabo2c
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 m4 competition (soon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02M3ForMe View Post
Updated impressions.

Thanks to BMW Portland for providing the car to me again for a more thorough evaluation in better conditions.

This car's steering is actually quite remarkable. The combo of G-generation steering with the M240i's shorter wheelbase and undoubtedly better tuned assistance yields probably the best steering I've experienced in a BMW in a long time. I believe it's better than that of my old M2C. It's got a sporty, firm weight at speed, even in Comfort (my preferred setting). It's got a "quick" ratio. It's precise as heck. I was legitimately impressed, and that's after having spent significant time recently in the G82, 992 911 C2S, and Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio. It's been a long time since I drove the M340i and M440i, and while I recall enjoying the tighter feel of those cars over their F-gen predecessors, I don't remember them being as good as this.

The grip in the dry is quite good. While I couldn't quite manage M2C pace, it got pretty close. When I thought I was nearing the edge, I turned in harder, accelerated a bit more, and the car just held, with the steering getting tighter and sharper, seemingly asking for more. This car was equipped with all-season Pirelli rubber (Cinturauto P7) with a 500 wear rating; I'm eager to learn how the car performs with PS4S or PZero.

As I mentioned in my original impressions, the suspension is softer than that of the M2, but it's closer than I originally gave it credit for. I prefer the M2C's setup for its rock-solid, confidence-inspiring firmness, but I think the M240i is way better tuned for "fun daily driver" duties.

I was able to exercise the powertrain a bit more. This is a car that feels better when you keep things in the midrange, versus the typical high-strung M character of older M cars that encourages living life near redline. The powerband is very healthy in the middle (very healthy!), and the transmission keeps up better with the action. The delta between the ZF8 and DCT become more apparent the more you ramp up your driving. Again, keeping things "in the middle" yielded the best experience.

The exhaust gave me a nice outright "bang" after a particularly aggressive downshift following a higher intensity section; it looking forward to properly uncorking it.

This car is fantastic. It over delivers in many ways, from the drive, to the amenities, to the M2-like fenders and hood and overall proportions. If this car had a manual transmission option, it'd be an instant classic. I don't care what the G87 M2 looks like, I'm convinced.

Speaking of looks - it gets better to my eye every time I see it.

Thank you so much for the written review. I am beyond excited to receive my first BMW ever (2022 M240i)
Appreciate 2
02M3ForMe4264.50
spidy512494.50