04-28-2022, 12:56 PM   #27
Project_F87
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve457 View Post
Is the ZF8 used in the G80 M3 the same one that is used in the '22 X3 M40i? The reason I ask is because I've only ever used the ZF8 in our X3, and although it does shift quick between gears, there is still a noticeable lag to me when flicking the paddles manually. The lag isn't much, and I'd estimate it to be only around 100ms or less, but I could tell it is there. For instance when flooring it and shifting the paddle manually at higher revs, it won't actually shift until a few hundred RPM after I pull the paddle (ie: 5200 vs 5000 where I pulled the paddle). Now I haven't actually measured the delay or revs in any scientific way, but this is how it feels to me and is what I'd guess if asked to explain it.

Car journalists all seem to gush over the ZF8 and its "fast" gear changes, but don't really talk about the paddle delay. Yes, the gear changes are quick as it shifts gears, but the paddle delay kills it for me. I'm curious if anyone that has used the ZF8 in the G80 series car could comment.

For reference, I'm comparing the feel to the PDK in my 991.2 GT3 RS, which I know isn't a fair comparison, but is the only other "automatic" I have currently to compare with (besides the X3). In that car, it feels as if the gear change happens before I even completely finish pulling the paddle.

I will definitely be sticking with manual in the G87 M2, if the ZF8 is anything like I've experienced so far.
The electronic tune in the ZF on M cars is vastly superior to the other models, however it is true that there is still an unwanted lag if you compare it to the previous gen of M cars with the DCT (and especially to a GT3RS with PDK lol). Apparently the transmissions can be further tuned to make them even faster, so I guess we are to see what that entails.