View Single Post
      06-18-2022, 09:31 PM   #226
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXE46 View Post
Sigh! The irony here is that everybody wants BMW to build them a bespoke car and sell it for no more than say 60k. Otherwise, there will be outrage and sanctions which will result in the wife and kids all upgrading to imaginary 911 GT3 /GT4's.
Fair.

I summarized what the M head of engineering said as, we could have spent all budget to keep it light weight as the F87 and not been able to spend anything on progress or we could make it a smaller M4 giving it all the M4 progress (beefy bracings, a lot more tire etc.) with the accompanying weight penalties. We chose the latter.

It sounds like the G87 is an engine and suspension software upgrade away from performance wise being a full blown M4 for maybe $15-$20k less out of the door. And as for the engine, the G87 tune might even turn out to be the sweet spot for the S58 in terms of character.

Further when the M4 get the MHEV upgrade to keep far enough ahead maybe the G87 get the full M4C tune…

All that said, did we really need a cheaper M4 or something more different? I’m not sure myself.

Last edited by solstice; 06-18-2022 at 09:39 PM..
Appreciate 0