01-02-2024, 09:52 AM   #13
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcars View Post
The pads are pretty aggressive, but that's how you get incredible stopping power. With a spirited car, your average speed is probably higher. You are braking more often and from higher speeds. Plus, the brakes are applied to help rotate the car in a turn, or by the stability control system.
On a related note my 2018 MINI JCW flagged a brake wear warning with around 15K miles on the car. I didn't flog the car just drove it 60 miles a day for my (mostly) freeway work commute.

Rear pads, well, one, on the driver's side worn to the sensor. Had the rear pads and rotors and sensors replaced.

After I noticed the stability control system activating the left rear brake during a sweeping right hand turn I took almost every morning on my work commute.

Was not taking the turn at any real high speed, but slowed down and still could feel the brake being applied. And noticed the stability control active symbol flashing on the dash. (Hard to see as the spoke of the wheel hides it during the turn.)

On a hunch had the car back in to the MINI dealer for a brake fluid flush/bleed. Even though the car 1 year old and with just 15K miles this cured the over active stability control system.

Might add with my 2024 230i xDrive (with around 1500 miles on the car) the stability control system seems very well behaved but I am noticing when slowing down -- on dry pavement too -- as the car's speed drops it feels like the ABS system is applying the brakes but not exactly like the ABS system would do this. The brake application is irregular/pseudo-random. I don't feel anything through the pedal but I do feel the car slow with mild brief increases in braking.

Had this behavior with my 2020 M-B cargo van. A brake fluid flush/bleed cured the van of this behavior.

So I believe I'll book the car in for a brake fluid flush/bleed to nip this behavior in the bud...
Appreciate 0