01-17-2022, 09:47 PM   #11
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caravaggio View Post
Been seeing a black on black VW id4 around town. The more I see it the more I think it's one of the prettiest designed SUV's.

https://jalopnik.com/the-volkswagen-...day-1848357725
I do not hate the way the iD4 looks but also not in love with it either.

That being said, the iD4 has to be one of the most infuriating new vehicles on sale.

Jason Cammisa pretty much summed up my thoughts on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Cammisa
Verdict VW id4: Ferdinand Piëch is spinning in his grave.

This shitheap is what happens when the timecard-punching imbeciles are given the keys to the car-company castle. Had Piëch lived to see this, the homicide rate in Wolfsburg would have had a dramatic spike when the id4 launched.

Am I being harsh? Yes, but remember the BMW E65 7-series (catastrophe); the W220 S-Class (Dodge Neon-quality POS) or the ’08 WRX (an insult to its own brand.)

This is one of those moments.

Does the thing drive ok? Sure: VW has built hundreds of millions of cars. Surely they’ve learned a thing or two. It’s fine.

But from the cartoon styling to the disasterous UX, its gimmick-to-function factor is the inverse of what VW has been since its genesis.

The well-documented lack of rear window controls and non-illuminated controls are just the beginning.

The gauges and shifter are a craptastic version of the BMW i3's, which were laughable a decade ago. See slide 10 for the full range of display customization 🤦*♂️

You can’t adjust the driver aids while moving.

I almost threw a brick through the fucking window when it wouldn’t open its door on a hill unless I pushed *as* it was unlatching.

The rat’s nest under the hood tells us everything we need to know.

An all-new, from-the-ground-up platform should not need visible reinforcements. This scares me — where else did VW skimp?

Add up the negative space up front, it’d make a big frunk. There isn’t one tells us that the teams at VW worked against each other, not for the good of the whole.

Disclosure: I own an e-Golf. It’s everything a VW should be (with exception of range.) Quick, well-crafted, gimmick-free, efficient, handles well, easy to use, and packed full of features that make daily life easier.

No gimmicks, unlike this. VWs should earn you respect from grownups; not be rolling cartoons of poor design.

This thing is a comicbook joke. I’d only recommend buying one is because IONIQ 5 isn’t available yet and you need something to ram into a tree for fun. Given the visible reinforcements up front, I’m not sure I’d recommend actually being in the id4 for the impact.

Man, does it miss the mark.
jmg18708.00