01-21-2022, 12:38 PM   #16
bayarea328xit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 i3s; 07 328xit (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZ007 View Post
You might consider waiting a year or two. I understand BMW will be doing a I5 and I7/8.

Added to that will be more OEMs introducing their own EVs like GM with the Silverado in 23
This is great advice. We did 2 lease transfers of i3 REX (1 year each) to see how it would fit our needs. After 2 years, we ordered an i3s BEV since we did not use the gas engine enough to justify carrying it around all the time. Additionally, the range increased quite a bit on our 2019 i3s.

The EV market is changing so quickly now; I'd be worried about getting something now only to see something that fits you much better in a year or two.

My advice would be to do a lease transfer for an EV and try it out for a year - if you like it, chances are that you'll have a better sense of what will work best for you in the long run.

We'll need another vehicle in 6-9 months. My plan is to wait and buy one (possibly an EV) towards the end of this year or early next year.

Note: VW is reworking the iD4 based on the initial (strong negative) feedback. This is yet another reason to wait - it will take some time for manufacturers to figure out how to address issues that come up in the first few years of production.

Last edited by bayarea328xit; 01-21-2022 at 12:43 PM.. Reason: Added note re VW iD4.
Appreciate 2