View Single Post
      12-04-2023, 10:00 AM   #4
Bandit009
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJZ67201 View Post
Intro: There are a couple threads on this forum regarding thumping and rattling noises coming from the rear of the G42. This is not specific to the G42, this also affects other models as well, and you’ll see why in the FIX section of this post. It was believed (by myself included) that the noise originated from the rear suspension but this may NOT be the case, at least for most.

This is the process I followed to remove the rear parcel shelf. I don’t have a lot of photos but I might make video if there is enough interest. I will attach more photos inline at a later time, just doing this on my phone for now.

Step 1 - Remove the lower rear seat bench:
- Pull up from the front, there are 3 clips holding it in. Then lower the rear seat backs, will need to put some towels down for protection.

Step 2 - Remove the rear side bolsters:
- There are two T20 or T30 bolts holding it in place. One up top and the other at the bottom, would be hidden by the lower seat bench which was just removed. There is one clip holding it in place towards the top. This one is rough and requires a lot of force. Once removed, you will have some lee way but beware of the airbag wiring towards the bottom. You will also have to remove the plastic seatbelt guide at this point I believe. It’s a small piece about 5 inches across, pretty easy to figure out how that comes out, there are 2 push pins holding it in place. Just keep it connected to the seatbelt and let it dangle.

Step 3 - Remove the lower entryway plastic door sill:
- There are about 6 clips, no screws. They will pop up, pry [...]
Amazing dedication and follow through on your part! As much as I would love to eliminate this noise, I don’t have the motivation to take on this project. Sadly, if I keep the “damping” in “comfort” most of the noise is elimated for me so I will continue to drive the car this way.
Appreciate 2