12-04-2023, 03:43 PM   #5
TJZ67201
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdurty2 View Post
Did you have any indication the noise was coming from the shelf?

It would suck to go through all of this and it makes no difference.

How long would you say the whole process took you?
One indication I had was that the rear shelf would rattle with very loud music / certain bass frequency. I wedged cut up pieces of pool noodle in between the plastic vent and the glass which provided enough downward force to mitigate the vibration. I then noticed that not only the rattle was fixed, but I also heard the thumping sound less often. This made me question if it was actually related to the parcel shelf and not the suspension that I had initially thought.

I had my car apart for 3 days only because I took my time and also installed sound deadening. Going in blind, it took me a while to get it all apart. If I had to do it again, I could have it all apart in about half an hour, and 15 minutes to get it all back together. Hopefully this thread will help the “going in blind” aspect for everyone else. It’s scary at first, but I never felt like I was about to break anything and I did not end up breaking anything. Definitely DIY possible if you have the trim removal tools which are super cheap on Amazon for a decent set.
Appreciate 4