Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M240i 6-speed Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP911 View Post
Quality control is not the issue. It's a matter of principle for some, including me. I won't buy a BMW made in Mexico. I have absolutely nothing against Mexico, and I know they can make a good BMW. Does not matter though. I want my premium German cars with their German price tag to be born in Germany. The BMW X being made in the USA is already pushing it for me, but I also can't be mad that they are creating jobs in my country. However, made in Mexico does nothing for me and only contributes a feeling of lost heritage and reduced brand mystique, both of which have been factors in my decision to pay double what I would otherwise need to for a set of wheels. Now, they still want me to pay double, but the product doesn't feel as special as it once did. Why would I consciously support this and spend my money on it? I just can't.
So let's say the G87 M2 is released and is a phenomenal looking car with mind blowing performance for 65k. You're passing on it because the still German car (with parts from all over the world) is being assembled in Mexico?
Yes. Hard pass. It would be that much more ridiculous to have a M car that isn't from the Motherland. Again, just my opinion.

I suppose I have other hobbies and interests, which allow me to see the opportunity costs involved in buying a car. If I'm going to spend $70k on a new G87, I want zero regrets and would be buying to own it for a very long time. If there's even one thing that will spoil the ownership experience, I'd rather just pass and put the money into other things I like.

Still going to be great cars, and I can't wait to see what the new M2 brings. I already know the new 2er is going to be a home run for BMW in terms of performance. Looks good too IMO.