VIERsr
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by danallxt View Post
Slightly off topic but i did do an oil change today at 200 miles. Probably not necessary but i am anal about a new engine oil change. But i am glad i did as 1) there was no factory drain plug crush washer , 2) estimated torque value of the factory plug was way less than the recommended 22nm. (i do all my own wrenching on classic cars, motorcycles etc so i have a good feel for torque values). The plug was not loosy goosy, but perhaps only about half of the 22nm.

Question on BMW recommended oil changes, the M series (M2 etc) have an initial planned/recommended 1200 mile oil change service, the M240 with the same engine has a 1 year 10,000 mile for initial change. Why the difference??? same engine, i realize the M2 has more HP (bigger turbo?) but still its the same engine. anyone got any ideas from an engineering standpoint why the diff?

CORRECTION: Sorry my mistake, they are not the same engines...DUH.
Your assumptions are indeed correct.
Bmw has always used odd rules for brake-in service for some M cars.
For the 1M and OG M2 they recommended oil changes to the engine, differential, and transmission (manuals only) at 1200 miles/2000 km, but they had the same N54/N55 engine as the x35i versions of the time, which required no oil changes after break-in.
So my guess is that the most delicate part that requires proper break-in and oil change is just the M differential, but of course it is always best to follow all of Bmw's recommendations to maintain the warranty and have a complete service history.
Appreciate 1
danallxt738.50