12-04-2021, 01:51 AM   #5
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ToBeOn2Wheels View Post
I was wondering when someone was going to figure this out, as I agree the ROW tail lights look way better, as usual. It used to be a lot more plug-and-play back in the day, but now more complications like different factories outputting different regionally spec'd vehicles means more modifications to get things to work right. I hope someone figures it out soon!
The problem with these specific lights, unlike some of the earlier BMWs, is the fact that on these, the US-spec vehicle share the same brake light and turn single function, on one light output.

Whereas, on the ROW version, the turn signal and brake lights operates independent from each other.

So now if one chooses to utilize ROW taillights on a US-spec vehicle, you have run a new wire from the BDC (body control module), back to the taillight and figure out the coding parameters in order to separate the turn signal and brake lights from each other.

Which more than likely would also require you to change the region of the vehicle from US to ECE. And who knows what side effects that might introduce, if any. It can be a very intricate process and not for the faint of heart.

Aesthetics aside, the ROW taillights completely separated amber turn signal from the brake light removes the ambiguity of the lighting function. Combining red brake/turn signal takes a second or two for following drivers to distinguish braking from turning intention.

However, US regulators, in their infinite wisdom, refuse to dedicate the resources necessary to revise these outdated lighting rules to match that of the ROW.

So, us internet sleuths just have to right this wrong ourselves 😙

Appreciate 2