11-11-2021, 08:22 PM   #1
02M3ForMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

M240i Pics and Test Drive Impressions [from M2 Competition owner]

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Thanks to ihbase, I got the heads up that the local dealer got their demo M240i xDrive. I drove down in my M2C to check it out.

My initial thoughts are that the G42 M240i is fantastic. While not a proper replacement for the M2 Comp (though I'd take it over an OG M2 instantly for the B58 alone), it's absolutely a driver's car. "Fun daily" is how I'd describe it. And, for me, it blows away the F22 cars.

The powertrain is excellent, especially for a car of this class. It's quite strong down low. In fact, it feels as fast or faster than the M2C for quick pulls to about 4500RPM. For a daily use car, I prefer how this B58-powered car delivers power over the M2C's delivery.

The exhaust sounds great; typical B58 mix of smoothness and aggressiveness with a nice bit of "flavor" in the form of little pops and burbles. Sounds better than my M2C.

The ZF8 is decently aggressive while delivering the usual refinement in normal driving. It shifts hard, decisively, and fast. It feels like a meaningful improvement over the F22 (it's been a while since I've driven one). I didn't miss my M2C's DCT, though my test drive was at 5/10ths with "break-in" RPM shift points.

Steering is very precise. The car certainly has Gxx DNA, which to me means direct and predictable controls with unobtrusive assistance. When pushing the car a bit, the steering sharpens and stiffens up (not sure whether this is a variable steering thing). Not a ton of "feel", but I had no issues determining the amount of steering to dial in to make the desired maneuvers.

Handling and grip are quite good. I was impressed given that my test drive was completely in the wet with leaves everywhere. You can really push this car and it'll hold the line. That combined with the B58 power make this a really fun "7/10ths" car. Between the steering and handling, the weight is well masked.

The suspension is softer than the M2's, so you can feel the chassis move around in the rear more than in an M2 in similar conditions. The suspension softness is largely why this car will probably not be a replacement for those who use their M2s the way they're meant to be used. On the other hand, those tired of the M2's harsh ride will likely be fine with the trade off as the M240i handles road imperfections significantly better.

The interior is a massive improvement. In fact, the immediate impression I got was that it was practically the same as that in my old G82 6MT, minus a bit of CF. Same digital cockpit (with non-M graphics), same big iDrive touchscreen, similar center stack design, and similar materials deployed. I had no issue with the quality of the Sensatec seats, and I may actually prefer them for their wear characteristics and lower cost.

I love the way this car looks. The whole package works. Wide fenders, aggressive hood, strong beltline, Hofmeister kink. No issues with the triangles; they look great with the non-Shadowline trim. The single corona headlights look great and less awkward than the initial photos suggested (they have the usual BMW "angry/devious" shape). The rear looks fine in person, and even looks quite aggressive from some angles to me (straight on from behind). No issues with the taillights. My impression is that the M240i looks like a full M car. It looks more special than I expected, especially in Black.

It seems most want to compare this car with the M2C. I think the old M235i/240i are the correct cars to pit against this one. This car is way better than the F22 for me. It feels like a surprisingly high quality product given the pricing and positioning within the product line. It's the best deal on the market for a fun, usable daily car; it checks every box for me. It even gets 30+mpg when driven sanely. I think BMW will sell a ton of them. And, as ihbase mentioned, this car is a fabulous base for the next M2. Assuming the driving experience holds up at faster speeds, I give the G42 M240i a very hearty thumbs up.
Attached Images

Appreciate 17
jmase248301.50
jphcbpa314.50
am3r1ka1413.00
Sedan_Clan25085.00
TJZ67201842.50
ihbase362.50
Hedoniste3834.00
BMWGirlFL6275.50
Ikester192124.00
jmack1231300.50