Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M, '20 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargaM2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by atl_1M View Post
Anyone have first hand experience with the 1000 M wheels? Going to 20/21" seems really excessive but they look so damn good. Also, does the change in wheel sizes require any coding to calibrate the speedometer? I assume profile of tires can't be less than what's already on the stock 19/20" but could be wrong
If you go up in wheel diameter you will come down in tyre profile eg. 19" rim with 35 series tyres will change to 20" rim with 30 series tyres etc. thus they will be a similar overall diameter.
Also going up in size does not mean extra weight, thats a generalised statement people state regularly. It depends on the individual style & construction method of each wheel.
If you like the bigger size go for it & i bet you will notice no detremint to performance whatsoever.
The only downside to going to a larger diameter run is you will have a lowrr profile tyre (as explained above) thus the ride will be firmer, however the upside is shorter sidewalls so better handling. Keep in mind again this is very dependant on tyre construction etc.
For the record i have 18", 19" & 20" wheels for my F87. The 18" for track use simply due to semi slick availability, the 19" came new with the car & the 20" are my road wheels…i can honestly say the tyres ibviously make a big difference to the driving but the wheels make virtually no difference at all.
Thanks for that info. Very helpful.

I also see that the 20/21" 1000M wheels come with 30 and 25 tire profiles. 30s already felt like rubber bands that I can't even imagine what 25s are like. I guess these new suspensions are so good that they can dampen the effect of such a short sidewall…
Appreciate 0