View Single Post
      11-20-2022, 01:55 PM   #15
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIERsr View Post
I would not talk about supercar tires, because then the tires are developed specifically for that model, and sometimes they are the result of commercial/political agreements anyway, just think of the terrible Dunlop Sport Maxx Race on the 991.1 GT3, hated by all owners and immediately replaced by Michelin SC2s.
The Sottozero 3 is one of the most unsafe tires I have ever driven in my life, I don't remember the speed rating as it wasn't my car but it was a terrible experience.
And apparently I'm not the only one who feels that way, it's good that replacement is finally here.
https://www.tyrereviews.com/Tyre/Pir...ottozero-3.htm
It is widely believed that on the M3/4 the Michelin's work so much better than the Pirelli's that everyone wants to win the tire lottery (-> get the Michelin's), and in fact many reviews confirm this (actually, many compare PZ4 with PS4, not 4S).
I'd have to know a lot more about the Sottozero's that you sampled (tread depth, pressure specific model, type of winter conditions, etc), but it sounds like my 10 or so sets (Serie II and 3, compared with the 3 sets of PA2/3) I have had on various VW, Porsche and BMWs over about 250,000km of use is a bit more extensive experience. For the conditions we have in the Canadian Rockies, I haven't found a better all round winter tyre for more performance orientated cars. If you are driving more on wet and warm or dry roads compared with cold and snowy roads, then they may not be the ideal tyre. The PAs were OK as have been the Dunlop 3Ds in the past, but both were not as grippy below -20C compared with the Sottozeros.

On the M2 I'm fine either of the Pirelli PZ4 or Michelin PS4S offerings, but likely will replace them with a better gripping Extreme performance tyre after wearing them out, depending on what is available at the time, if it was now most likely the RE-71RS.
Appreciate 1