05-03-2022, 10:31 AM   #3
atl_1M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M, '20 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
For years BMW marketing distinguished M cars from the rest of their lineup as being the top of the line performance models. They not only touted all the performance features, but went out of their way to point out all the aggressive styling cues only found on an M car.

Over the past decade they started badging non-M cars with the M logo, then making M-lite models all the way up to the current M240i which has M logos all over it, M mirrors and a power dome. Now they're putting quad exhaust on non-M cars? If you go to BMWs website and click on M and you'll see these 'M-lite' models listed as M models.

I get that they're whoring out the M brand to sell cars, but they are literally cannibalizing every aesthetic feature that separated out an M car from the rest. Makes no sense to me.

BMW 1 Series Spied With Quad Exhaust Tips, Could Be M140i

Agreed, it sucks but we're probably only one more gen where this even matters before things go electric. M lite cars are getting better and moving up towards true M models as opposed to M models coming down, but either way, I agree that it's completely watered down at this point. I've accepted that it is what it is and plan to just enjoy the cars for what they are, not how less differentiated they are. I'll still enjoy my older M cars for a more pure M experience
Appreciate 1
Tag18442.00