01-22-2023, 11:02 AM   #84
Albator_IIII
Retired Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335i 6MT Custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinosoar View Post
I think, before the thread wilts and dies, that from all the comments here that choosing an AT or MT is almost like choosing a favorite color. No one can really make the argument that Red is better than Blue; that debate is crazy (especially cuz Blue is far better!). I think the same here, some guys like rowing gears, others like not to and focus on other dynamic aspects of driving on the track or street. There's no argument, in this perspective, against either...just like a color choice.

Though, it is nothing like the color argument when we talk dynamics and speed...but in the end, that is still part of the transmission choice.

I will say, unequivocally, that choosing AT over an MT car does NOT pull one's enthusiast credentials. So tired of hearing that "For a real driver enthusiast, a manual transmission is available" by every car journalist. I keep pointing to the vast number of race series that don't use MTs any more...and I do consider racers enthusiasts.

A good discussion!
I never discredited AT folks even when AT had less performance (not saying you accused me of doing so). One never knows someone's reasons when they choose AT over MT and it is not anyone's business other than the purchaser. These purchases are luxury we make to make us happy. If BMW requires a specific number in sales to justify R&Ding a platform and reaching that number is dependent on AT option to have a bigger clientele, so be it. As I said before, I am happy we both have the option we want. If the this car would only be available in AT, I would not buy it period. Enjoy your car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterdentures View Post
So you're saying car enthusiasts who love manuals can't be disappointed by the removal of them from many cars that used to offer them? The "whining of the press" represents many enthusiasts who are disappointed about the current direction away from stick shifts, no shade against those who are happy with an auto but it's a valid concern.
Agreed that the disappearance of the MT is disappointing. That is why I am stretching my finances to get this car. It is most likely the last MT M car ever. I miss my E46M3 6MT and plan to keep my E90 335i 6MT for as long as possible as my daily. I couldn't replace it for an equivalent today. The G87 M2 will be in my garage for the rest of my driving life.

If that car would be available only with a MT, they might not sell enough to justifying making it in the first place.

2023 G87 ///M2 (production began Jul 4th 2023)
2008 E90 335i | Silver Grey | Terra | Piano Black | 6MT | ZSP | ZKO | ZAT | ZKI | ZPL | ZKL |
Appreciate 2
zero213266.50
aerobod3719.50