View Single Post
      04-14-2020, 10:11 AM   #181
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

You are being a little disingenuous when you say that the ZF8 being installed in a Touareg/Cayenne makes it far from a sports transmission. You do realize it's a modular transmission and different internal clutch packs are used from application to application? Heck you can swap the torque converter for an electric motor in a hybrid application as the basic transmission is just the starting point to which internal hardware/software is selected based on the intentions of the implementation.

The ZF8 shifts as fast as most DCT's and the difference is simply in its refinement (not as abrupt and you lose the throttle blip) and the fact it's lighter than a DCT is a big bonus for a sporting application. The reality is that a millisecond quicker shifting from a DCT is more than offset by the heavier weight of the transmission in a sporting car application.

There are aspects of the DCT I really like such as the throttle blip and quickest downshifts possible but they are all clunky at times, the throttle tip-in lag sucks, and a lot of people simply don't like them in a daily driver. I personally have owned several from the old Getrag TC-SST in the EVO X which in SS-Mode shifted faster than the BMW versions to the VAG DSG's and I have enjoyed them despite their quirks. With the ZF8 I feel I am getting 98% of DCT the performance without the quirks so I don't think it's the end of the world as some are speculating if it's offered in the M3/M4.
Appreciate 2
EXE462101.50