09-18-2023, 11:22 PM   #8
Axylus
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '23 M2 (waiting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2siast View Post
Money shifting only happens in manuals, where you can downshift into a higher RPM than the engine would tolerate (e.g. if you’re in 5th gear at 7000RPM and instead of going to 6th you go to 4th, the engine would go way beyond its limiter), and the engine (and possibly transmission too) would break. Expensive shift…

So, yes, the auto is foolproof in that regard.
Do you think you may have been trying to downshift while the engine was already in high RPM? If so, that could be it, because the transmission will NOT obey any command to downshift until it’s in a range that’s acceptable (e.g. if you’re at 6k RPM and try to downshift it won’t do it, unless you slow the car down to 5k RPM, then it will).
Hmm maybe I can try to explain what happened again.
I was driving ~35-40 mph. I stepped on the brake, but I wanted to get back up to speed so I immediately and normally stepped on the throttle. While I was gaining speed, the rpm increases to ~3k, the point at which I expected it to upshift, but the rpm stayed 3k and I pressed the throttle a little more and it increased past 3k and wouldn’t upshift. It finally shifted up or down (I don’t remember which) when I finally let off the throttle completely and let the engine brake itself
Appreciate 0