View Single Post
      04-20-2024, 06:34 AM   #76
JABCAT
Professor
Rep
Drives: '23 M2 & '22 X3 M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockCrusher View Post
The flip side is when the car is parked outside in hot weather. Sure not every place is as hot as Death Valley but there have been reports of tourists there getting into their car and with shorts on and experiencing some pretty painful burns from the hot dark colored upholstery. Leather or man made coverings.

While I have not been in Death Valley a number of times my cars have been parked in CA direct sunlight for a number of hours and even through my long pants I can feel the heat. Women in shorts or dresses really complain and shift around in the seat to reduce the discomfort.

Remote start would give the A/C (and is fitted ventilated seats) time to cool the interior to a tolerable/safe level.

(Rather than use remote start to cool the car I found putting a loose cushion on the passenger seat took the direct sunlight keeping the seat bottom cool. Then when the passenger gets in the car she stands the cushion upright against the seat back and sits on the cooler seat bottom.)
When you have 80 days over 100 degrees & 40 days over 105, it's not about the seats being hot, it's about the interior of the vehicle being 120-150 degrees. I prefer not to sit in a pool of sweat on my drive home from work. My car is parked in a parking garage out of direct sunlight but is still an oven inside by the time I'm done for the day. I typically start the car from my phone when I leave my office and it takes me about 4 min to walk over to the garage.
Appreciate 0