soflacarguy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: g42 (ordered)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3WC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
The weight saving advantage for the carbon fiber roof is minimal - 3lbs over a steel, non-sunroof alternative, according to BMW official technical training manual for the G80. This is a repair manual, not some polished BMW marketing brochure, so they have absolutely reason to bend the truth about this plain fact.

Being generous, I say the sunroof components adds maybe another 30lbs tops. Then you factoring the weight lost subtracted for the giant hold they have to cut out to accommodate the glass panel, It might almost be a wash opting for either/or sunroof on a steel top.

Maybe if the carbon roof was standard, like on the M4, I might of consider it but at $2,600, for a part that amounts to nothing more than eye candy, they can keep that shit. I would rather spend 1/3 of that money and have them install a sunroof in the back also, before I cough up that fee ��
This quote is from an article on BMW-M site.

Quote:
Does adding any options, such as sport differentials, add weight to either M3 or M4 models?

The Active M Differential comes as standard equipment for all M3 and M4 models. Of course, options can add weight (e.g. electric sunroof +23kg) or reduce weight (e.g. M Carbon bucket seats -10kg).
So carbon roof saves 50lbs on M4 vs a sunroof equipped car.

That is rather large weight savings.
I know a few people who would spend $2600 if it meant instantly shedding 50 lbs of fat off their body.

But on this car, is it really worth it? Imho only if your going all out on the full carbon package. Sure it looks nice. Otherwise its kind of negligible performance wise, and only makes sense if you're an anti sunroof elitist or truly need the extra head space.

I really wish BMW offered a credit of sorts for a sunroof delete.
Appreciate 0