View Single Post
      10-15-2022, 05:43 PM   #25
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep
Drives: Super73

Quote:
Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
Was wondering what oil the dealers are required to use on oil changes? Full synth or blend?

I have done all my oil changes on all my vehicles from Mustangs and Z06 and Kawasaki ZX-7 to Honda Odyssey and always user Mobil1 Full synthetic.

I would use the factory oil until at least the recommended first change interval because it's usually not full synthetic cause in past you don't want to break in a new engine with full synthetic. But if they regularly use a blend then I definitely won't be taking in my car for oil changes. Over 30 years of using Mobil1 and my current daily with over 320k in 11 years.

When I was into bikes, they would say drain and change at 500 and/or 1k because that's when you have the most metal in the oil because parts are mating. Maybe overkill but I love working under the hood anyways and 5 qt jugs of Walmart and filter is cheap insurance.

Do manufacturers even use "break-in oil" in their engine oil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC3LLR8 View Post
Ahh, makes sense. However, I doubt I'll ever take advantage of the free oil changes.
You can go to different oil websites and see the brands of cars that use their oil for the factory fill. I also think the days of "break-in" oil are behind us.

Mobil 1 treated me great in the SS 1LE. Shell Rotella was great in the STi. And now I use Castrol Edge 5w30 Euro Formula for the 240. I'm a firm believer you can use the cheapest no-name brand oil in any modern car and as long as you change your oil every 5-8k miles (synthetic) you'll be fine - I just don't want to do it. LOL
Appreciate 0