View Single Post
      12-24-2021, 07:28 AM   #5
Good 4 2 reasons
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 G42 m240ix, '18 X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTR View Post
0-20 has been in use for years. BMW does not have a facility full of destroyed engines from any model using it.

If you are not using your car in track conditions frequently or in dirt/dusty environments all the time then you are wasting money and time.

The issue is over thought and overly confused on forums. Use the oil specification for BMW and drive and enjoy life.
When an automobile manufacturer has to only warranty an engine for 50k miles, its easy for an automobile manufacturer to make decisions that adversely affect the long term longevity of a powertrain. Direct injection without port injection to aid in cleaning the cylinder heads and valves comes to mind.

When companies offer "free maintenance" for the first 3 years or so, its to their benefit to stretch the oil change intervals as much as possible.

I just bought a BMW so obviously I am not against the brand, but if you plan on keeping a car longer than the length of the factory warranty, you should consider the long term repercussions of such a long OCI and the kind of oil BMW uses in order to meet government mandated fuel economy and emission requirements.
2015 VW Golf 1.8t 5-speed (sold)
2004 Chevy Cavalier (hopefully crushed by now)
Appreciate 0